I recorded the sounds of cooking a couple dishes for this project. I adapted a recipe called korma, and used a potato, tomatoes, onions, green beans, carrots, cashews, yogurt, and some spices–some dried, some I ground myself. After making this, I made scrambled eggs and tied in some sounds from that. After recording everything with a Tascam DR-100MKII, I trimmed everything and pieced it together in some semblance of a narrative order in Reaper. I’ve grown pretty familiar with the program by now, which is perhaps more of a success than the proto-project was.
For the most part, my ideas seemed to fall flat on their face. I knew where I was headed with them, but in the end, was derailed by the sheer amount of recorded sounds, blending them together, and trying to accurately represent the soundscape of a kitchen. I was daunted by layering and straying from reality. There could have been a better way to have solved this, but I could only think of one. The product of my efforts was too long, overly complicated, and extremely quiet (which I realized too late). The transitions, coherence, and consistency were lacking, too.
Adding a cinematic dimension would have added more immediate interest (for the class), but it wouldn’t have necessarily made sense in the grand scheme of my things. All in all, I am not happy with the work I completed—but the idea still stands strong.