My project went through many different phases, which resulted in a slight change of idea. This tends to be a recurring theme, but I guess the process is as important as the end product. I originally wanted to record people speaking and replace the words with sounds from nature and machines. This proved to be too difficult; as I could not figure out a way to match up the sounds I was finding on freesound.org accurately enough with the shapes of the words. So, I after fooling around on various programs, I decided to change my idea slightly. I would keep the soundtrack, but modify it. I ended up using a short video clip, and creating six different samples of the soundtrack. Using Reaper, I layered effects onto the original sound clip. Each track has at least three effects that I tailored to create the sound environment that I wanted. Each of the six clips has a unique tone. I wanted to create a unique space for the sound to exist in and see how the clip changed in meaning with different sound effects.
I did not want to lose the video aspect of my original idea. So, there are two aspects to my project. The six clips can be heard without video, but I also put the effected sound back onto the video using iMovie. The entire video can be viewed as well as just the audio. The video contains this unexpected sound that creates a strange environment (typically, weird sounds are associated with equally weird imagery. In my video, the imagery is completely normal and expected, with strange and unexpected sounds.) I chose the segment that I did because without context, it seems strange and confusing (similar to how without the context of the video, the sound clips are strange and confusing). the link to the audio is here https://ellawilliamssoundart.bandcamp.com/album/robs-opinions-of-the-prairie-audio and the video is here https://vimeo.com/108821090