My final project was an extension of my earlier experiments with creating augmented audio spaces. Originally, I had hoped to create an space with odd echoic properties, where certain frequncies were echoed but others were not. I decided this wouldn’t be compelling (or wouldn’t work, which in truth was my biggest concern). I decided to keep the idea of interesting echoic properties though, and, inspired by a recent viewing of the hunger games, decided to mimic the “Mockingjays” in the first movie which, genetically modified to be good at picking up tunes, would mimic a tune and spread it through the forest.
Conceptually, this is more of an interactive experience than an static piece. It inherently involves participation. Having this interactive element is something I had wanted from the beginning of the semester, when Spencer and I had our failed attempt to cancel out someone’s voice. In a round about way, my final project ended up amplifying a person’s voice. I thought it was a pleasant change.
I used Puredata to play sounds of the forest, and measure the pitch of a note and its loudness. If something was heard which was high pitched and loud, it was assumed to be a whistle, which would trigger a recording. This sound was then played back through a variety of filters which would play it at different speeds and pitches to mimic a forest of birds copying the sound.